Monday, September 15, 2014

Whole Foods 3 flavors of macaroons 9/14

Whole Foods Boulder 9/14

These macaroons called to me, being gluten free, saying "tasty treats you can eat in yellow white and pink, right here." So I ordered one of each vanilla, raspberry and lemon.
They charge about $2.75 each so $9 later I had tiny treats in a plastic container I would have to recycle later. Why not a little bag or a knapkin? I mean it's Boulder. The one in Colorado. We get charged for grocery bags. I don't need a spaceship shaped box to hold 3 macaroons the size of a silver dollar. I arrived in my car and the rain started so I tasted the vanilla. Tasted like artificial vanilla and not much else. Won't be buying that again. Two bites and I didn't have to consider it anymore. I waited a while for the other two debating sharing them with my gluten free daughter but really, if they are bad I shouldn't share them. Sharing bad things is NOT generous. I waited a while and granted they had melted a tad when I decided to risk disappointment and try them. The raspberry was fairly delicate though the filling was strong. I HIGHLY recommend the raspberry. Two bites of awesome. I had saved the lemon for last given I was a lemonbar aholic in my youth. Meaning I made lemon bars weekly so that I knew the recipe by heart. My greatest sadness of gluten freeness is the lack of lemon bars in my life.
I love a strong lemon but this filling tasted like lemon merange pie filling from Albertsons which is not my thing. I mean it's lemon so it's edible but in my opinion a macaroons filling shouldn't be overpowering the macaroons. Macaroons should have a delicate flavor. They should have an aroma of the lemon acquired by the zest and lemon oils. Not just lemon flavoring. So if you go to whole foods and want a macaroons, go with raspberry.

No comments:

Post a Comment